Latest News: Spring 2021
Through the latest lockdown and winter months, the Bute Community Forest Board and volunteers have been busy behind the scenes and in the Forest itself. Headline news:
- A new website is under development which is scheduled to go live in June/July 2021
- The plans for our off-grid accommodation huts have progressed and we have submitted detailed drawings to Argyll and Bute Planning;
- Similarly detailed drawings of our new community shelter have been prepared for submission to Planning;
- New fencing works have been undertaken at the north end of Moss Wood where the accommodation huts are to be sited;
- Path improvement works have been undertaken in the main Moss Wood Community area
We have also been working with Scottish Forestry and Bute Estate on plans for the larch in the Rhubodach plantation area. We have a small pocket of diseased larch (near Balkanailly) which we are required to remove and we will work with Bute Estate to achieve this. We also have some un-diseased larch which we will harvest so that it does not become diseased. We will clear fell this larch (on the steep slopes above Moss Wood), and a small area either side, and re-plant with predominantly native species. This is an exciting development which will increase the environmental amenity and diversity of this part of the Community Forest.
There may be training and employment opportunities in terms of re-stocking of the former larch areas, working with Bute Estate contractors. If this of interest to you, please contact us through the website.
Finally, we have started our spring/summer season of events with a Wildflower Walk. Please see separate post. We would be delighted to see you at future events, or at any time, for enjoying the Community Forest.
Other Articles You May Like
Bute Community Land Company acquires the Former Shalunt Quarry site from Mount Stuart Trust to develop a new 'Welcome Hub'.